The Kirkcudbright Railway was a branch line linking Kirkcudbright to Castle Douglas and onward to Dumfries. It opened in 1864 and closed in 1965.Look carefully at the second image of the station front where the Provost’s lamp can be seen hanging over the gate. This must date from when Station Master Maxwell was Provost.
An early image of the station building. Note the lack of dormer windows on St Mary’s Street houses.
This view shows the granite setts in Bridge Street outside the station. These were laid to strengthen the road when tanks were unloaded prior to travelling to the Townhead Ranges for testing.
Kirkcudbright station 1959. This locomotive was built in 1937 and cut up in November 1962.
This view shows the various station buildings and tracks. The station also had a turntable
An engine pulling carriages over the viaduct at Tongland.
A train crossing over Tongland Road at the bottom of Burnside Loaning.
In 1963 an accident happened involving a goods train and carriages. This resulted in the carriage travelling across the road and embedding itself into the opposite wall.
The last train left Kirkcudbright in 1964. The Station Master at the time was W. Maxwell.
Demolishing the station prior to building Council houses on the site.
Looking onto the road and Telford’s Bridge.
The station front.
Looking into the station after the crash
Early morning passengers.
Another locomotive in the station