Kirkcudbright Town Hall

This image of the first Town Hall has been brought to our attention.

(This description is from David R Collin’s book “Kirkcudbright An Alphabetical Guide to is History” with permission)

The first building on the site of the present Town Hall was known as the Public Rooms and was built in 1863. The site opposite the Parish Church was known as Hughan’s Calfward. Construction of the new building, for the Public Hall Company cost £3000 but to the great dismay of the investors, it had to be demolished after only fourteen years due to problems arising from inadequate foundations.